Friday, December 20, 2019

A PADDLE WITH ST. NICHOLAS

'Twas the day before Christmas and all across the waterway,

The water looked splendid I'd just have to say

Not a breath of wind even stirred the air,

And how the stream glistened so bright and so fair


The ducks and geese floated about without a care,

While the otters and beavers swam both here and there

The deer all were nestled deep among the tall trees,

While I waded my boat out, just below my knees.


I slid into my kayak and snapped on my sprayskirt,

Picked up my paddle and pushed away from the dirt

Just downstream, I could hear the rapid's rumble and chatter,

During the summer, it's always a fun place to gather


I paddled down to the top of the flume,

Catching the eddy above with plenty of room

The bubbling whitewater poured over the stone,

Swirling and churning in frenetic foam.


When looking upriver should what did I see?

But another boater who was following me

He had a great stroke it was lively and so quick,

I couldn't believe it, I was paddling with St. Nick


Now he wasn't in a playboat, you see, he needed lots of room,

Not a sea kayak either, too small for him I can only assume

He paddled a big boat as comfortable as an old shoe,

Yes, yes, Santa was in a canoe


It was bright red as the color of his sleigh,

Dancing over the ripples without delay

With a wreath at the bow and streaming with tinsel,

It was quick, I will tell you, like the down of a thistle


In the fast current, he lined up his route,

Past the rocks, he angled toward the chute

He moved his craft forward with a powerful sweep,

Over the first wave, that looked pretty steep


The bow of his canoe arose in mid-air,

As the spray and the splashes flew everywhere

He was heading toward the ledge, it would be a big drop,

Downstream with the current, he went over the top


I was out my boat on the shore at this time you see,

  Trying to get a selfie of Santa and me

I raised up my camera, you see I needed some proof,

As Santa and canoe came down with a boof


As I looked over the water it seemed like a dream,

Santa had turned and was now surfing upstream

Dressed in a bright red drysuit from head to toe,

As he bounced up and down in the waves, both to and fro


His cheeks were rosy, his beard as white as sea foam,

Donning a red cap and sunglasses, he was one cool gnome

His laugh shook the canyon and it echoed below,

Yes, you all know it, it was ho ho ho!


He ferried his canoe out of the current and into the eddy,

Then waved to me to follow as soon as I was ready

  I jumped back in my boat to join the fun

I couldn't believe it, I was joining Santa on a river run


He peeled out quickly heading downriver,

He was in a hurry you see, he had toys to deliver

His mechanics were precise, his stroke was the truest,

I've seen lots of paddlers, but there was no better canoeist


I stay up close, for a while side by side,

But, he quickly outran me, I have to confide

He needed to get back to the North Pole and the reindeer

The elves had loaded up his sleigh to spread Christmas cheer


But he waved his paddle, to me as a sign,

Before he would disappear below the horizon line.

And I heard him say as he canoed away

"Merry Christmas to all, and to all, have a great paddling day!"


Merry Christmas from Outside Adventure to the Max

 Want to see more about Outside Adventure to the Max. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram

1 comment:

  1. We have all heard The Night Before Christmas about Santa and his sleigh,

    but did you know there's other about him paddling river on Christmas Eve day?

    This week in Outside Adventure to the Max, I will tell the tale that's way past its due. It's about the time I met Santa in a canoe.

    ReplyDelete