Friday, March 19, 2021

CANOECOPIA: BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE


 Canoecopia was held last weekend. This year the annual was conducted as a virtual event due to the ongoing pandemic. Registrants were able to visit virtual exhibitor booths and showrooms, watch demos (more than 80 presentations and seminars), connect with exhibitors, and more. Paddling enthusiasts had text chats and participated in live Q&As with speakers during and after their presentation on topics including destinations, skills, history, conservation efforts, fishing tips, and fitness.

Organizer Darren Bush of Rutabaga Paddlesports wrote on the Canoecopia website, "What a great weekend! We're grateful you all came, and I hope it provided you with information and inspiration. We certainly learned a lot and look forward to integrating a lot of the online features into the in-person show."

I have to agree. I spent a good part of last weekend checking and watching video presentations about kayaking, canoeing, and camping. Some of my favorites included John Chase's tips on loading a kayak for a multi-day trip, Dan York's presentation on the Wild Rivers of the West. York added a few rivers to my bucket list. While paddler Mary Langlie reminded me why I just love to paddle in her talk.

NRS's Danny Mongno was both knowledgeful and entertaining, as he took me through his topics of dressing for the cold, the kayak's forward stroke, and selecting the perfect paddle.

And another highlight for me is tuning into Jerry Vandiver's concert of paddling songs. He is always a favorite of mine. His paddling songs speak to us all about the rivers and lakes we have come to cherish.

But, wait there's more. All the presentations, exhibitor booths, and community boards will be available online through May 16th, so my exploring has only just begun as I explore even more recorded presentations. If you missed out you can still buy a ticket.

Living in California, I've not been able to attend Canoecopia in person. But, this past weekend, I was able to see some new boats, get some valuable information. But most of all was to be inspired to know that there are a lot of men and women who are just as passionate about paddling as I am.

Keep up with Outside Adventure to the Max, on our Facebook page and Instagram and now on Youtube.


1 comment:


  1. This week in Outside Adventure to the Max, we have a mini-review of the virtual Canoecopia and tell you how still can go too.

    ReplyDelete