Friday, September 16, 2022

BOATHOUSE DAYS, MY FIFTH SUMMER ON LAKE JENKINSON PART I


May the light that reflects on water be this wild prayer. May water lift us with its unexpected strength. May we find comfort in the "repeated refrains of nature," the softly sheltering snow, the changing seasons, the return of blackbirds to the marsh. May we find strength in light that pours in under snow and laughter that breaks through tears. May we go out into the light-filled snow, among meadows in bloom, with gratitude for life that is deep and alive. May Earth's fire burn in our hearts, and may we know ourselves part of this flame--one thing, never alone, never weary of life. ---Kathleen Dean Moore


It's been 5 years since I started working lakeside at the boathouse on Lake Jenkinson, renting out kayaks, canoes, and paddleboards to anyone who wanted to come out and paddle the lake. I have weathered a few storms, seen a lifetime of sunny days, and had way too many smokey days. I've seen enough water in the lake to paddle almost right up to the park's waterfall, and I have grimaced after seeing the lake level drop and drop and drop during these last few years of drought.
 
This year, I was happy to be back on the water at Sly Park Recreation Area's picturesque upper part of Lake Jenkinson near Pollock Pines, California, to start the season again at Sly Park Paddle Rentals. We had been unceremoniously closed in August of 2021 when the Caldor Fire raged nearby, forced evacuations, and closed the park for the rest of our summer.
When I opened the boathouse last May, I had high hopes for the season. And why not? The lake was sitting at 81% percent, Sly Park Falls was flowing strong, and I even had to bail out four nearly sunk canoes filled with rainwater after several inches of rainfall. Let's just say canoes make great rain gages.
Cool and cloudy mornings might not have been great for kayak rentals, but they allowed me to get everything for the upcoming season, while late evening paddles around the lake gave me a chance to get reacquainted with favorite spots at the lake.

Sunday, May 22...We are back on the lake today, open for business! It was a slow start with only a few reservations, but I took advantage of my time in the morning to clean up the boathouse and put everything in order. Also, later on, I bought down a boat from the parking lot along with a bunch of kids' PFDs. We will be needing more PFDs for adults, however.
The lake looks great to start the season. It is sitting at 81%. I also hear the waterfall is back, which is great for our paddling guests. I'll have to go up there and check it out next weekend when I'm here again.  

Friday, May 27...Well, we're kicking off summer and the Memorial Day weekend. It's a cool morning with a haze of clouds overhead. I brought up some adult PFDs and another boat today. The Ride Pescadores are very popular with my renting customers because they are so stable.
Last Sunday, I took a paddle up to the waterfall, or at least I tried to get there. The lake is 81% percent. While that's nice, it's not nearly full as it should be. A red bathtub ring borders the water and trees. I paddled past the buoys holding back fire debris but couldn't get much further. Sly Park Creek was a rocky rushing stream of water. So, I had to hike up the trail the rest of the way. Winding through the trees, I got a good view of Sly Park Creek as I walked to the waterfall. Past the bridge, I could hear the rumbling along with a group of men laughing and talking while standing under the fall. Knowing how cold it was, I wondered how anyone could stand to submerge themselves in the falls. Yikes! It's cold.
The water poured over the falls in white coursing foam. It thundered down, making the ground rumble. It's always very cool to see. The last time I was here, it was barely a trickle. But now, the jewel of the park glitters again. At least for now.

 
Sunday, May 29...At least the sun is shining today. I didn't see it much yesterday. The wind blew and blew so much. I was surprised anyone would want to go out on the lake. It was also really cold.
Today is a bit warmer and spotty with cloud cover, and the wind has already picked up from the west. The boats are rocking back and forth, and the dock is being pushed around.

Monday, May 30...Memorial Day. Quiet morning on the lake. Got up here early from my new house to get on the water for some canoe time. The lake was a glassy plane. It was like a mirror. No other boats, no loud noises, only stillness, and silence.
Took my breakfast out with me and coffee out in the middle of the lake, just floating along before we opened up. A pretty good way to start my day on the water.

The rains kept coming in June for two Sundays in a row. At first, the rains came down gently on the boathouse roof, before turning into a steady drumbeating downpour. As the deluge continued, water poured into the lake from all sides. Water flushed down the hill behind the boathouse. The soothing sound of millions of raindrops splashing into the lake filled the air. 

"How much good the rain would do, how fresh the water in every stream, how flowers would pop with the sun, the Linnaea, the anemones, the dogwood and everything else along the trails," wrote Sigurd Olson, while witnessing a similar spring rain. "The ferns on the rocks would begin to grow again, and the silvery caribou moss would be soft and resilient with just a tinge of green."
While the rain certainly took away any fire threat. But dampened the kayak rentals for the day. Only the hardiest of paddlers show up to paddle in the rain. So, after shutting down, I went out to kayak in the storm. The rain beat down on my face. The wind created swells across the water lake. An adventure for sure. Why not? Paddling in the rain can be a rejuvenating experience.

Friday, June 3...Very still and quiet morning. Bully the Bullfrog is making the only racket with croak, croak, croak.
Saturday, June 4...Rain on the windshield and sprinkles on the lake to start off the morning here at Sly. The weather hasn't been too kind to us starting this season. Calm winds, mostly, out of the east, which is a nice change.
  
Sunday, June 5...The day started with light sprinkles and turned into a real soaker at the boathouse. No idea if anyone will show up. It's pretty soggy out there. Even the fishermen are heading back in. On the bright side, there is no fire threat today, and the lake needs as much water as it can get.
By midday, it rained and rained and continued to rain. I had to dump out the canoes because they make for giant rain gauges.

June 10...I got a lot of minnows under the dock today. They swim less than a foot below the surface of the water. I don't remember ever seeing this many before. They swim underneath as the one bigger bass lurks even further below. It's not Roger, he much bigger. I have seen him a couple of times so far this year.
My other company this year is like always, the Candian Geese that don't migrate, and of course, there are plenty of ducks with their little brews swimming behind in a line. I haven't seen the eagles much this season. One did zoom by last week in the rainstorm, but so far, they haven't been hanging around this side of the lake much this year. I would love to see them up here on this side of the lake.

Saturday, June 11...I paddled out to the narrows and back down to Sly Park Creek just to hear its rumble. Then, I went back to the boathouse, where I watched a guy fishing roll his kayak. The fish, I'm sure, were laughing.
 

Sunday, June 12...Another rainy day at the boathouse. It looks like another soaker. It's welcome. But not good for the kayaking business. We need timely rains Monday through Thursday and bright skies all week.
I watched it fall from inside the boathouse. Only one reservation showed up, and I don't know why, but they paddled out into the storm on the lake and came back thrilled to be part of it.
When it was my turn out on the lake, it was still stormy and breezy. The rain pelted my face and waves broke over my bow, and the wind pushed me around. But I loved it. It was an exciting feeling to take on the storm. I was dressed for it, which always makes the biggest difference. I laughed at the rain.

From Father's Day to the Fourth of July brought in the summertime weather I was used to having on the lake. It brought a steady stream of paddlers to the boathouse. With an increase in business, I even got a few helpers from The River Store to help me on the dock. 

Safety is always our biggest concern. Yet every year, we have a few mishaps on the water. Some untimely dunking due to some paddling errors. What do you call people who stand up in a canoe? Why swimmers, of course. It doesn't happen very often. The crazy thing about it is they come back to the dock wet, sunburned, exhausted, and all smiles. No doubt about paddling is a fun way to spend the day.
I liked coming in early and leaving late to get my own time on the water. Because any time in a canoe is a good time. The morning might start with a swim and then some coffee on the dock.
My evenings would end with a kayak paddle around the lake. I would go to the far west end to see the mountains over the trees. I always wish I had that view. Then back to the quiet of the upper part of the lake. Most would consider paddling the lake after spending the day renting kayaks a little exhausting, but I can think of any other way to end my day.

Sunday, June 19...Father's Day. It's a bright beautiful day on the water. It's the first time in two weeks that it has not been raining or storming.
 
Saturday, June 24...Clear skies mean a busy day at the boathouse. Catherine came again up from The River Store today to help me out. She is a nice older gal who is set on helping out.
We had an exciting Friday yesterday when a bunch of guys spilled their canoe right in front of the dock. I had to jump in and pull it to shore, along with telling the guys to swim to our ladder. They were all laughing and were in good spirits about the whole ordeal. But I think, they were pretty bummed about losing a computer and camera to water damage. Who brings those things on a canoe? I felt a bit sorry for them and tossed in a free kayak rental because they were such good sports about it all.
The rest of that day was pretty relaxing. I took Catherine on a canoe ride up to Sly Park Creek and the falls, which is a favorite of mine. She had never been there before, so it was a nice treat for her and a good way to end the day.


Sunday, June 25...The lake is very swimmable now. The water feels good and refreshing. The lake traffic picked up today because with being so hot. The most popular craft on the water is the SUP at least that is what my reservations are made up of.
 
Friday, July 1...A nice and very hot day. Perfect for a day at the lake. It was such a good day. We welcomed two River Store and Catherine for the day. It's a training day. We will be opening up a boathouse on Lake Natoma soon. I'm sure these guys might be a part of that.
They were all good workers today. We had a steady line of business. Tomorrow will be very busy.
Another issue was our dock kept blowing out of place. The Ranger's patrol boat had to help put it back in place the first time. Next time I had to jump in and push it back in place. It is going to be an ongoing struggle all season for me and the rangers to keep the darn thing in place.


Monday, July 4...Independence Day. The lake is dropping on this holiday weekend. That is how it seems to be in Californian in these times of drought. The bathtub ring of the lake between the trees, and the water is getting larger by the week. The rangers say they hope it stays around 80% all season which certainly would be better than last year. It was a bit of a slow afternoon. It seemed everyone wanted to go home and see fireworks.



There was still plenty of summertime left after the Fourth of July. In the summer heat, Lake Jenkinson was a perfect escape for those looking for some good clean fun with or without reservations.

If you want to go on a canoe or kayak trip at Sly Park contact:
Current Adventures Kayak School and Trips
PHONE: 530-333-9115 or Toll-Free: 888-452-9254
FAX: 530-333-1291
USPS: Current Adventures, P.O. Box 828, Lotus, CA 95651
info@currentadventures.com
owner Dan Crandall dan@kayaking.com
 

Keep up with Outside Adventure to the Max, on our Facebook page and Instagram and now on Youtube.


1 comment:

  1. This week in Outside Adventure to the Max we reflect in first part of our summer experience of running the boathouse rentals at Lake Jenkinson for our fifth season.

    ReplyDelete