Saturday, December 31, 2022

PARADE OF PADDLING


Has I'm writing this on New Year's Eve, rain is beating down on my rooftop, pelting the window and creating hundreds of small rivers along the hillside of my home. Weather forecasters say that a significant storm system will plow into the West Coast, bringing heavy rain, mountain snow, and strong winds fueled by an atmospheric river of Pacific moisture. An atmospheric river is a long narrow region in the atmosphere that can transport moisture thousands of miles, like a fire hose in the sky. Forecasters say this active jet stream pattern will continue to bring a parade of storms across much of Northern and Central California this weekend.
As 2022 comes to an end. It's time to look back on a parade of paddling memories and leap forward in planning new adventures. And as the rain hits the windowpane, I'll take that as a good sign we might have more water this year than last. At least, that is my hope.

I send a big thanks out to my paddling family for helping me paddle through another year. Thanks to Dan Crandall and the other superstars on Current Adventures Kayaking School and Trips, who have been there for guidance and encouragement. We have some big plans for 2023. I'm looking forward to a full schedule of classes, tours, and moonlit paddles.
To the rangers and staff of Sly Park Recreation Area, thank you. I hope for another successful season on shimmering Lake Jenkinson this year, with more water.

I lost count of my paddling events with Bayside Adventure Sports this past year. The highlights of our year included our annual Lower American River run, our camping kayaking trip to Loon Lake, and our popular sunset and moonlit paddles on our area's lakes. Of course, none of it would have been possible without our leader, John Taylor Sure, I had some great ideas, but John made it happen.
We are losing our spiritual leader Greg Weisman the longtime founder of Bayside Adventure Sports. He will be retiring in 2023.


My wife, Debbie, is and will always be my guiding light and inspiration. She has a deep devotion to God and a love for everything, living both great and small, like the starving kitten that found its way to our doorstep and our neighborhood deer herd. I continue to strive to be like her in mind and spirit. We are both excited about landscaping our new home.

Happy New Year everyone.


Paddle Day #148

I paddled close to my record of 152 paddling days in the calendar year. I did get to some new places and enjoyed some of the old ones. I'm eagerly anticipating an exciting new year in 2023.








Keep up with Outside Adventure to the Max, on our Facebook page and Instagram and now on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment